- Glamorous jazz chanteuses and gutsy blues shouters front Mark Boquist’s five to nine piece band as they explore an
- expanding book of old school Rhythm & Blues, Rock & Roll, Jazz, and Pop music ~ familiar and forgotten hits from
- the past and funky new originals. With songs from every side of the love equation, Empire Beats' energetic dance
- revue recalls showcases of another era.
- Empire Beats bandleader Mark Boquist has been drumming for over thirty years playing all kinds of blues-based
- music on stages large and small, on recordings and broadcasts, on tours around the United States and Europe, and
- in slick private clubs and public dives. Beginning in Minneapolis in the early 1980s, with forays to Kansas City and
- then Seattle in the ‘90s, he made the move to Manhattan’s Lower East Side in 1997. The son of a Jazz man, his
- affinity for real American music led him to start up Empire Beats in 2011. Showcases and residencies at venerable
- Manhattan music halls and lounges, as well as distinguished Brooklyn venues, have solidified Empire Beats’
- reputation as a rocking dance band featuring top quality musicians and New York City’s most impressive young
- singers. At festivals, fundraisers, weddings – and much more – Boquist and the band deliver authentic and exciting
- music that energizes audiences of all ages.
- Singers of note:
- Born, raised, and still residing in Brooklyn, Anetta Rozé claimed her rightful place onstage with Empire Beats throughout
- 2019. She grew up listening to her parent’s vinyl records – the Marvelettes, Tami Terrell, the Supremes – and has been
- singing and dancing incessantly since adolescence. Currently working on her own solo recordings while also singing with
- the phenomenal Brooklyn choir, New Vision, Anetta’s a natural fit for Empire Beats’ rock & soul ensemble.
- Hailing from Jacksonville, Florida, J. Scott brings southern spirited fun and funkiness to Empire Beats’ stage along with a
- vocal range from deep baritone to crisp falsetto. Born Javon Scott, the classically trained vocalist found his love for music
- at a young age singing in church with performance choirs. With wide ranging influences like Stevie Wonder, Brandy, and
- Kelis, his own genre-defying style and energy is infectious.
- Freeport, New York’s own Cherette White is the newest addition to Empire Beats singing crew. With an international
- pedigree that ranges from Classical to Pop and all genres in-between, her powerful and dynamic soprano is right at home
- on Empire Beats’ stage. Whether touring, recording, leading a choir, or serving as a sought after vocal coach, Cherette’s
- Gospel music roots influence the band and audience in body, soul and spirit.
Empire BeatsSaturday, November 16, 2019
Saturday, November 16, 2019
This event is